THE SILENCE OF SNOW: THE LIFE OF PATRICK HAMILTON
Written and performed by Mark Farrelly
Directed by Linda Marlowe
Mark Farrelly returns with his riveting, kinetic solo show portraying one of the great English writers of the inter-war years. Patrick Hamilton was a dazzling success in his twenties, producing hit plays Rope (filmed by Hitchcock) and Gaslight, and classic novels Twenty Thousand Streets Under The Sky, Hangover Square and The Slaves of Solitude.
But Hamilton was also an alcoholic, whose wit darkened as his inner and outer worlds collapsed. Covering the entire sweep of Hamilton’s thrilling life and writing, The Silence of Snow entertains and challenges in equal measure, asking audiences: why do so many of us get through life without feeling we ever truly knew another person?
Mark Farrelly’s West End credits include Who’s Afraid of Virginia Woolf? opposite Matthew Kelly. He is directed by EastEndersstar Linda Marlowe, who also directed Quentin Crisp: Naked Hope.
Supporting MIND, the UK’s leading mental health charity
Running time: 70 mins no interval
★★★★ “You won’t be able to take your eyes off this magnetic actor Mark Farrelly. He inhabits the character of Hamilton with a blazing fluidity” The Times
★★★★ “Farrelly’s performance is electric” What’s On Stage
★★★★ “Master of the monologue Mark Farrelly intriguingly deploys his many skills and all his talents” Broadway Baby
★★★★ “Clear and sharp-eyed characterisation and performance of a very high order” Edinburgh Guide
★★★★ “Farrelly’s achievement is to portray a life so lacking in personal happiness so entertainingly” British Theatre Guide
★★★★ “Farrelly’s sharp, insightful and witty writing and his magnificent acting linger long in the mind” Fairy Powered Productions
★★★★ “The masterful Farrelly doesn’t so much play as inhabit the role of Hamilton…he holds us spellbound” Theatre Things
★★★★ “A barnstorming performance that leaves you breathless” Camden Review
★★★★ “Wonderful passion and charisma…a complete embodiment of a complex character” Exeunt
★★★★ “Horrifyingly funny snapshot of the wit, novelist and playwright…brilliant” The Spectator
★★★★ “Farrelly’s revelatory autopsy of a cauterised heart of darkness is intimidatingly implosive: stand well close” The Reviews Hub
★★★★ “Farrelly’s performance is a tour de force, and his talent is clear” Everything Theatre
★★★★ “A complex and witty portrait” London Theatre 1
★★★★★ “An outstanding piece that crams so much emotion and sheer acting skill into the hour” Weekend Notes
The SIlence of Snow
Admit One 7:30pm
|19:30 - 20:30||£13.00|
2 courses Set Menu
|18:00 - 19:30||£17.95|
Town and Gown Pub & Theatre, 8, Market Passage, Cambridge, CB2 3PF
TERMS & CONDITIONS
TICKETS ARE NON-REFUNDABLE and NON EXCHANGEABLE
Changes can be made to ticket purchases subject to availability and may not be an option for certain events. Changes will incur a £2.50 per ticket administration fee. This is offered at the discretion of the venue.
LATECOMERS - Please be aware that due to the intimate setting of the Town and Gown Theatre that latecomers MAY not be admitted. Please leave sufficient time for arrival as refunds will not be given if you cannot be admitted due to arriving late.
1. The ticket holder voluntarily assumes all risks and danger incidental to the event for which the ticket is issued, whether occurring prior, during or after the event. The ticket holder voluntarily agrees that the management, venue, event participants, DesignMyNight (WFL Media Ltd) and all of their respective agents, officers, directors, owners and employers are expressly released by the ticket holder from any claims arising from such causes.
2. Tickets are issued subject to the rules and regulations of the venue.
3. Please check your tickets, as mistakes cannot always be rectified.
4. Occasionally, events are cancelled or postponed by the promoter, team, performer or venue for a variety of reasons. If the event is cancelled, please contact us for information on receiving a refund from the responsible party. If the event was moved or rescheduled, the venue or promoter may set refund limitations. It is your responsibility to ascertain the date and time of any rearranged event.
5. The venue reserves the right to refuse admission and may on occasion have to conduct security searches to ensure the safety of the patrons.
6. Every effort to admit latecomers will be made at a suitable break in the event, but admission cannot always be guaranteed.
7. We regret that tickets cannot be exchanged or refunded after purchase.
8. Tickets are sold subject to the venue or promoter's right to alter or vary the programme due to events or circumstances beyond its control without being obliged to refund monies or exchange tickets.
9. If this ticket is re-sold or transferred for profit or commercial gain by anyone other than the promoter, venue management, DesignMyNight or one of their authorised sub-agents, it will become voidable and the holder may be
refused entry to or ejected from the venue.
10. The venue may operate a No Smoking Policy.
11. The promoter, venue management and DesignMyNight accept no responsibility for any personal property.
12. The event listed on the purchased ticket is strictly for ticket holders who are over 18 years of age. Identification may be required.